Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A very scary experience

On August 11, 2011 at 10:06 my sweet Carson was run over by a car. My initial thought upon seeing Carson for the first time was that my baby was going to die. He was bloody, he had hair falling out and he was screaming. It felt as though my life became a tunnel, what people were saying to me sounded muffled like they, or I, was underwater. I couldn't remember my address, but I HAD to know it, I couldn't remember Russ' phone number but I HAD to know it. I remember telling myself to stay calm, and to focus. My baby needed me to be strong. I remember holding him in my arms my entire body shaking, holding him tight to my chest so he wouldn't move, singing into his ear 'how I love my pretty baby, sweet and precious little baby, how I love my pretty baby, honest to goodness I do'. I remember Camrie crying frantically "I don't want my brother to be ruined", "I don't want him to die". I remember pleading with my Heavenly Father for help.

Once the ambulance came I walked out to the street and climbed in. They instantly immobilized him, putting him in a neck brace and strapping his tiny little body down to the stretcher. I remember a paramedic saying to me "Ma'am you're going to need some shoes" and I ran to get them, and then again "Ma'am you're going to want to bring your purse". I was so grateful for the people there to help me when I needed the help. My cousin, neighbors, and friends. Back inside the ambulance the Paramedics started going down the list, head intact, pupils responding normally, shoulders arms and hands intact, tummy soft, legs and feet intact. As they called out this check list my heart got lighter and lighter. I knew that my baby would be okay. We drove off without the siren, the drive to the hospital felt like an eternity and I remember praying but not knowing what to say, and only being able to say "please, please, oh please" and "thank you, thank you, thank you" over and over again.


We arrived at IMC and they immediately got him into trauma 2. Russ and I stood helpless outside the door while they cut his shirt off and took x-rays, felt, prodded, and poked my screaming child. I felt like my legs were noodles, my body shook, and I felt like I was going to be sick. Once we were finally allowed in with Carson , Russ and his brother Matt gave him a priesthood blessing. Carson cried up until and after his blessing, but while his Dad spoke Carson was quiet as though he was listening to the words of the blessing. While I was stroking Carson's leg, the tears streaming from my eyes a Doctor came and put his hand on mine and said "He's going to be fine, that boy of yours is extremely lucky, but from what we can see here he is going to be fine"


We were then transfered to Primary Children's Hospital, Life Flight came along in the ambulance, as well as in the chopper. I had to sit in the cab with the driver, and those sweet Life Flight paramedics spent the 20 minutes playing apps on their iPhones and showing Carson silly things, he was quiet the whole way over.



Once at Primary Childrens Hospsital more x-rays, and more CT scans showed that everything was normal with the exception of a small fracture on the back of his skull. The nurse came in and had to clean out Carson's abrasions, the nurse asked how comfortable we wanted him to be and I responded that I didn't want him to feel one thing, and she complied with morphine. While they were cleaning, he kept saying "all done", "all better", "thank you", I love my polite little boy. What a relief it was to finally hold and feel Carson in our arms. Once we could hold him he started getting back his normal goofy, playful personality. Carson even started asking for popcorn 'coporn'.


We were checked into RTU, and all we did for the entire day was lay in a bed with our sweet miracle and smother him with love, and shed a few tears of relief together. Carson would get so antsy and I would unhook him from all of his cords and let him play out in the little play area, he loved riding in the little cop car, he looked so cute in his hospital outfit! A pharmacist walking by in the hall stopped me and said "You have to know how lucky you are, when we have back overs, they usually end differently". Carson is truly a miracle.


At one point he picked up a toy car and drove it up over his tummy and head, I took the car and hid it for a while and pulled out the dinosaurs instead. Camrie came to the hospital later that day to spend some time with Carson before bed and surprisingly they sent us home that same night.


While sitting in the van driving home from Salt Lake, Russ looked at me and said "today, we are taking both of our children home." What a miracle. I was taking both of my babies home, and they were healthy, happy, and sticky from a McDonalds ice cream cone.


I am so grateful for my little miracle! What a blessing it is to have him in my home. I know that our Heavenly Father in truly in charge, and that he knows and cares for each of us individually, and today I'm grateful that he blessed me with such a sweet, and priceless miracle.






11 comments:

K. Bitton said...

Oh my heck, Dulc!! What a miracle. No better people on the planet deserve such blessings. I'm so incredibly happy and relieved. I've actually been thinking about you a ton lately and now I know I should have called. I probably still will:) Love you and I'm so happy that this is the story.

A little Birdie... said...

I just cried and cried reading that. What a miracle! Hope he's hanging in there, and you too!

Sarah said...

We love little Carson and we love you! It is truly a miracle, and we couldn't be happier!

Rick and Jenny Runyan said...

I am all teary after reading the story Dulcie-I am so thankful Heavenly Father was watching out for little Carson, He obviously has some big plans for him in his life! Such a miracle, such a blessing! How scary that must have been, but what a relief that it has a happy ending! Sending our love to your family!

Lindsey said...

Ahhh, Dulcie, you should change the title to a scary experience that ENDED WELL!!! I almost had a heart attack during the first paragraph. I am sooo happy everything is ok- what a miracle! How is Camrie doing? I am sure it was absolutely terrifying for her!

Sidenote: you know you have a good looking kid when he is so stinking adorable, even with road rash on 1/2 his face!

crisandamberbills said...

I love you. I love your kiddos, and I am so happy that you brought BOTH your babies home. What a scary experience to have to go thru. You and Russ are strong people. I love you for how strong of a woman you are. Glad things are ok. I'm glad Heavenly Father was with you and your family.

Christina said...

My heart literally hurts right now it is so completely full. I couldn't be more grateful that Carson is okay. I was stunned when I heard and I can't begin to imagine what that was like for you. There is nothing as horrible as watching our children suffer. I'm so glad you had the presence of mind to stay strong for your sweet family. I love you and I am glad that Carson is well.

Clark Fam said...

I wish I could have got there sooner! I cry reading your story...even though you already told me. Carson is a tough dude! Camrie was an angel and we had tons of fun. You are a good mom!

Shay said...

How scary Dulcie! I'm so glad that he is alright. What a nightmare, but what a strong little guy you have there.

Lisa said...

I am so glad that he is alright! It truly is a miracle.

Jarae said...

Dulcie Oh my goodness, How scary! I just cried and cried the whole time I was reading this. It took me a while to even finish reading because I had to keep wiping my eyes. I am so glad that everything turned out ok. It was just a big sigh of relief when I read he was going to be ok. What a miracle! I Hope you are doing well.

Just a side note the reason I stopped by your blog was because I think I saw a picture of you on Nie Nie Dialogues. Don't know if you went recently to hear Stephanie Nielson speak but there is a picture of a girl in the background that looks like you. :)